St Peter & St Paul, Ormskirk

St Peter & St Paul’s Church, Ormskirk.

St Peter & St Paul Church

The church is one of only three churches in England to have both a tower and spire, and the only one to have them both at the same end of the church, which can be seen perfectly in this photograph.

Dating from no later than the 12th century the St Peter & St Paul Church is a Grade II listed building.

Numerous alterations and additions were made during the following centuries, including the steeple towards the end of the 14th century, and the tower in the middle of the 16th century.

In about 1739 the nave and aisles were rebuilt in Classical style, and in 1877–91 Paley and Austin undertook a considerable restoration in Gothic Revival style.

According to legend, the town of Ormskirk is thought to have been founded by a Viking named Orme, around 840AD.

Orme built a ‘Kirk’ (church) on the crest of the hill where the settlement stood and this became known as ‘Ormes’ ‘Kirk’, hence Ormskirk as it is known today.

One legend suggests Orme had two sisters who could not agree whether the church should have a tower or steeple. So in order to accommodate both the sisters, Orme had both structures built side by side.

The church is built in sandstone with stone-slate roofs. It consists of a nave with a west tower, a north aisle, a south aisle with a southwest steeple and the Scarisbrick chapel at the east end, and a chancel with a north vestry and the Derby chapel to the south.

The tower is in three stages with a west doorway, and an embattled parapet with centre and corner pinnacles. The steeple has a tower with a square first stage, broaching to an octagonal stage that is surmounted by an octagonal spire.

The Tower dates from 1540-1550 and was probably erected to house some of the bells from Burscough Priory.

One of these bells dated 1497 and 1576 served there and at Ormskirk for a period of 450 years, and was retired only in 1948.

When the Ring was recast and a new tenor made to replace it. The donor of the old bell, J.S. de B.armig. (Knight) has not been identified. The devices interspersed with the lettering round the bell are Tudor badges. The bell weighs over 25 cwt.

In 1972 the old church clock which was first built in 1883 was repaired and the movement electrified by the gift of Mrs. Mary Ellison in the memory of her husband, Alfred , and her daughter Marjorie.

(Photographed Tuesday 11th November 2025)

Churches – Home

Life in Lancashire Today – Home