Thornley School, Forest of Bowland

Thornley School, Elm Brow, Thornley with Wheatley, Forest of Bowland.

Thornley School

The school seen from the main road from Longridge

Thornley School opened in 1880 having been built by local workmen using local stone and records show the gritstone cornerstones were from the Tootle Heights quarry on Longridge fell. The roof was made of slate.

The photograph above shows the west wing of the school.

The school closed in 1978 the old Thornley School building alongside the Memorial Hall were used for a period of time by the community.

The two photographs show the eastern wing of the school.

The most remembered social activities included the Thornley women’s institute, whist and dominoes nights and family get togethers.

The photograph above clearly shows the date the school was built 1880.

The history of the school is a land mark in Thornley. Lord Derby gifted the land to build a school for the children of Thornley including his tenants and workers children.

Boys Entrance

Girls Entrance

The school was a mixed school and had a separate entrance for boys and girls clearly seen in the two photographs above.

The school is right opposite Hope Lane and The Thornley with Wheatley Parish Council Board on the main road between Longridge and Chipping.

Longridge Fell

The school is in a lovely area with views of Longridge Fell to the front and Parlick and Fairsnape fell to the rear in the Forest of Bowland an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

(Photographed on Wednesday 19th February 2025)